documents overseas employment

The key documents required for employment overseas

In order to obtain a job outside of the United Kingdom (UK), it isn’t as simple as handing in your Curriculum Vitae (CV) – very often, obtaining overseas employment requires some additional documents besides merely your career history and your qualifications. When applying for overseas employment, an individual needs to attach evidence that their qualifications are genuine. The documents which are required will vary depending on the basis of nature of the job that a person is applying for, though one certainty is that the documents will have to be legalised with the Apostille Stamp – at least. Without the Apostille Stamp, an prospective employer will not accept the legitimacy of your Certificates. The most common documents which needs to be legalised include; Academic degrees and certificates, A Certificate of no Trace, reference letter or past employment certificate, medical certificate and driving licenses or passports. The importance of the relative documents in terms of applying for overseas employment is elaborated as follows:

1) Academic Degrees and Certificates

An academic degree or certificate is the most basic and essential document for any job application whether domestic or foreign, but when applying for employment abroad, these Certificates cannot be accepted without having first been legalised. First off, they will need to be notarised or certified, before being submitted to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for Apostille. Even then, for some countries, the documents will need to be taken to the relevant Embassy for attestation.

2) Criminal Record Certificate/Certificate of no Trace.

A Criminal record certificate (also known as a Certificate of no Trace or ACRO Certificate) also needs to be provided when applying for overseas employment as evidence that the applicant is not or has never been involved in any criminal activity. These certificates will also need to be submitted for Apostille, though can in most cases be Apostilled directly without the need for further legalisation such as notarisation (though Embassy attestation can still be required in some countries).

3) Reference Letter or Past Employment Certificate

A Reference letter or employment history is a document which contains the details of an individual’s past employment history. Once this letter has been obtained from the previous employer, it must be legalised with the Apostille stamp. As with educational certificates, this document must be notarised, with the best way being for the relevant parties (the employer) to sign the document in the presence of a notary. This will allow the notary to notarise the document as an original, at which point this original can be submitted for Apostille. Alternatively, a certified or notarised copy of the document could be obtained, however it is easier to Apostille a notarised original.

4) Medical Certificate/Doctors letter

A Doctors letter or medical certificate as verified by an authorised medical practitioner is usually submitted with an overseas employment application as it assures the employer that the applicant is completely healthy and fit to work. Such a letter can easily be obtained from a persons Doctor along with their personal medical history, and must also be legalised in the same manner as the employment history.

5) Driving License/Passport

A valid driving license may be one of the most important documents required when applying for overseas employment, assuring that the applicant is able to easily commute to and from work. With some jobs, a driving license is a necessity and an applicant without a full driving license can often face rejection. As a driving license can never be Apostilled directly, a certified or notarised photocopy of the license will have to be drafted, which can then be submitted for Apostille. The same applies for a Passport; without a passport, it is impossible to obtain work outside of the United Kingdom. Having a legalised copy of your Passport serves as perfect evidence of a persons legitimacy work and travel outside of the UK.