Certificate of No Impediment

Certificate of No Impediment

Getting Married Abroad

Getting married abroad is a popular idea with couples; the thought of getting away from it all and saying their vows in the sunshine, perhaps on a beach or in a beautiful European location (or maybe even further afield) certainly has its benefits and it’s easy to see what it appeals.

However, choosing to get married abroad can sometimes have more difficulties associated with in than getting married in the UK. Therefore, it’s essential that couples do all the necessary research before booking anything, just in case they find that they cannot fulfil their dream after all. The first thing they will need to check is what legal documents they will need if they do want to get married abroad.

Getting Married Abroad Legal Requirements

No matter where you choose to go for your wedding, there are some things that are essential and that each of the couple of going to need to bring with them. The first thing is, of course, your passport. However, simply having a passport is not enough – you will need to ensure that it is valid for the country you are travelling to. Some countries will require your passport to have more than six months’ validity remaining, for example. Some will be more and some less. Check this out beforehand so that you can apply for a passport renewal should you need one.

You will also need to take your full birth certificate or adoption certificate and, if you have been divorced, your degree absolute. If you are widowed then you will need to bring your original marriage certificate as well as your spouse’s death certificate.

If you have changed your name for any reason other than marriage, then you will also need to take the deed poll proof.

Check whether you need to take original documents or whether certified copies are accepted.

What Is A Certificate of No Impediment?

A certificate of no impediment (CNI) is a legal document that states there is no reason why you cannot marry. This document is often required when you marry abroad to ensure that everything is done legally and correctly.

What Is The Meaning of Certificate of No Impediment?

Since the CNI means that you are free to marry, it is often required in a foreign country that may not otherwise be able to access all the information that the UK could do. When you have to obtain a certificate of no impediment, you will need to ensure you time it right, because it must be valid on the day of your wedding.  You may also need to ensure that you obtain an Apostille which can take longer. These certificates usually last for six months, so you should not apply for one too early otherwise you may need to go through the process again.

Certificate of No Impediment Registry Office

If you do need a certificate of no impediment then you need to go to your local registry office. Notices will need to be placed to ensure that no one has any objection to the marriage, and once 28 days have passed, the certificate will be issued.

The CNI contains eight essential pieces of information. These include full names of the couple, their ages, their marital condition (single, divorced and so on), their occupations, where they live, how long they have lived there, where the marriage is taking place, and what their nationality is.

Please bear in mind that you will need to leave enough time to obtain this certificate, but that it should not be done too early in case it is no longer valid on your wedding day.